Friday, 30 May 2014

Denki Doodles

Ok so this blog is documenting my process in reaction to my Denki doodle brief. The theme I have been set is Absence. The task is to create a 2D game play screen based around this theme.

The final product and project will be published on my Behance profile but this blog will have my added thoughts on why and how I went about this project.

So first thing first I want to thank James for the brief and am looking forward to getting stuck in.

I started the same way I do for a lot of themes I pop on some music and day dream about it just letting my imagination create a story I feel engaged in.

From this day dream I came up with a story and a world based upon a few sentences.

The gods have left,
The world is crumbling,
One will stand,
Is he the one ? is he prophesied?
Or just the only one willing to act?
Will he find the meaning behind the Gods absence?

And to break up all these words I will add my initial sketches.
 I'm always a sucker for characters so started with some designs for a kid that has grow up by himself. He has lots of patches on his clothes from repairing them himself. I also wanted him to have a sword that looks too big for him, possibly his fathers. I wanted to show through his design that he has had a absence of parents.
Apart from the character one of the key points is how the world is crumbling and dying after the disappearance of the gods who up until recently had lived with the population. After there disappearance the world has started to shatter and break, strange creatures are returning to the surface that had previously only lived below. The boy goes on an adventure that leads him to the entrance what use to be below the surface.

At the moment I am working on a first draft of a in game screen and will update when I have that and some general concepts completed over the weekend.

A quick wip of the scene. I still want to add in a large building in the background and detail to show the world crumbing as at the moment it looks to healthy. I want to get a contrast between the floating wreckage the character is traversing as green and alive and the dying surface below.



No comments:

Post a Comment